Belgrade (Serbian: Beograd) is the capital and largest city of Serbia. It is located at the confluence of the Sava and Danube rivers, where the Pannonian Plain meets the Balkans. Its name translates to White city. The city has a population of 1.23 million, while over 1.65 million people live in its metro area (which encompass administrative limits of City of Belgrade). More than 40% of its citizens are between 15 and 44 years of age. Belgrade is the third largest city in South-eastern Europe after Istanbul and Athens. As the capital city of Serbia, Belgrade hosts many governmental institutions including the National Assembly and Government of Serbia, as well as 75 diplomatic missions.
Best Of Belgrade
One of the most important prehistoric cultures of Europe, the Vinca culture, evolved within the Belgrade area in the 6th millennium BC. In antiquity, Thraco-Dacians inhabited the region, and after 279 BC Celts conquered the city, naming it Singidūn. It was conquered by the Romans during the reign of Augustus, and awarded city rights in the mid 2nd century. It was settled by the Slavs in the 520s, and changed hands several times between the Byzantine Empire, Frankish Empire, Bulgarian Empire and Kingdom of Hungary before it became the capital of Serbian King Stephen Dragutin (1282–1316). In 1521, Belgrade was conquered by the Ottoman Empire and became
the seat of the Sanjak of Smederevo.It frequently passed from Ottoman to Habsburg rule, which saw the destruction of most of the city during the Austro-Ottoman wars. Belgrade was again named the capital of Serbia in 1841. Northern Belgrade remained the southernmost Habsburg post until 1918, when the city was reunited. As a strategic location, the city was battled over in 115 wars and razed to the ground 44 times. Belgrade was the capital of Yugoslavia (in various forms of governments) from its creation in 1918, to its final dissolution in 2006...more
CHURCH OF ST. SAVA
The Church of Saint Sava is a Serbian Orthodox church located on the Vracar plateau, Belgrade, Serbia. It is one of the largest Orthodox church in the world and ranks amongst the ten largest church buildings in the world. The church is dedicated to Saint Sava, the founder of the Serbian Orthodox Church and an important figure in medieval Serbia. From its location, it dominates Belgrade's cityscape, and is perhaps the most monumental building in the city. The building of the church structure is being financed exclusively by donations. Forty years after the initial idea, construction of the church began on May 10, 1935, 340 years after the burning of Saint Sava's remains.
Belgrade Fortress is the core and the oldest section of the urban area of Belgrade, on the confluence of the River Sava and Danube. For centuries, the city population was concentrated only within the walls of the fortress, and thus the history of the fortress, until most recent times, equals the history of Belgrade itself. The first mention of the city is when it was founded in the 3rd century BC as ''Singidunum'' by the Celtic tribe of Scordisci, who had defeated Thracian and Dacian tribes that previously lived in and around the fort. The city-fortress was later conquered by the Romans, was known as Singidunum and became a part of ''the military frontier'', where the Roman Empire bordered ''Barbarian Central Europe''.
The Pobednik ( The Victor) is a monument located in the Belgrade Fortress Kalemegdan, built to commemorate Serbia's victory over Ottoman and Austro-Hungarian Empire during the Balkan Wars and the First World War. Built in 1928 and standing at 14 meters high, it is one of the most famous works of Ivan Mestrovic. It is also one of the most visited tourist attractions in Belgrade and the city's most recognizable landmark. The statue, holds a falcon, on watch for the new threats on the horizon, in the left hand, and a sword of war, ready to counter these threats in the right. It's looking forward across the confluence of the Sava and the Danube.
RUZICA CHURCHRuzica Church is a Serbian Orthodox church located in the Kalemegdan Fortress, in Belgrade, Serbia. A church of the same name existed on the site in the time of Stefan Lazarević. It was demolished in 1521 by the invading Ottoman Turks. The church was used a gunpowder magazine in the 18th century, and was converted into a military church between 1867 and 1869. Heavily damaged during the First World War, the church was renovated in 1925.
Ruzica Church is a Serbian Orthodox church located in the Kalemegdan Fortress, in Belgrade, Serbia.
ST. PETKA'S CHAPELThe church is located in the Upper Town of Belgrade Fortress, very close to the Ruzica Church. It was built on top of a spring that is believed to be miraculous, on the site of an old chapel built after 1867. The current chapel was built in 1937 to the design of architect Momir Korunovic. It was completed on St Petka’s Day (also known as Paraskeva) and the spring waters are believed to be beneficial to women. Its interior walls and arches are covered with mosaics, created between 1980 and 1983 by artist Djuro Radulovic.
ST. PETKA'S CHAPEL
The church is located in the Upper Town of Belgrade Fortress, very close to the Ruzica Church.
MILITARY MUSEUMThe Military Museum (Serbian:Vojni muzej ) in Belgrade was founded in 1878. The museum has over 3000 ancient and modern items. These include Roman swords and helmets, Greek helmets and daggers, Serbian heavy knight's armor, axes, shields, helmets, crossbows, armoured gloves, as well as Western medieval weapons. There are also more modern guns, firearms, and elements of soldier's uniforms and equipment. Dioramas, plaques, and displays illustrate the use and historical context of the museum's collection.
The Military Museum (Serbian:Vojni muzej ) in Belgrade was founded in 1878..
NEBOJSA TOWERNebojsa Tower represents the only remaining well preserved medieval building within the Belgrade Fortress. It was built around 1460 and belongs to the oldest type of early artillery canon towers. It was built for the purpose of defending the city from the Turks, as a part of the defense system – “the bulwark of Christianity” that had for decades successfully stopped Turkish invasions into central Europe. A few centuries later, when it lost its military importance, it was transformed into a dungeon. At the end of the 18th and the first decades of the 19th century it represented a symbol of Turkish repression and a place of perishing of Christian warriors from the Balkans during the centuries long Ottoman rule.
Nebojsa Tower represents the only remaining well preserved medieval building within the Belgrade Fortress.
BELGRADE ZOOThe Belgrade Good Hope Garden (Serbian: Beogradski vrt dobre nade) is a zoo located in Belgrade, Serbia. The zoo is situated at the city center, in Kalemegdan Park. The zoo was founded in 1936 and is one of the oldest zoos in Europe. It covers an area of about 7 hectares (17 acres), and has 2000 animals representing about 270 different species. The zoo holds domestic as well as exotic wild animals. Zoo has the biggest pride of white lions in the world, big number of tropical birds and birds of prey. Because of meaning of name Belgrade (White City), GM Vuk Bojovic decided to collect albino and white animals. Now the zoo has white tigers, lions, american bisons, arctic wolfs, polar bears, albino wallabies and skuns...
The Belgrade Good Hope Garden (Serbian: Beogradski vrt dobre nade) is a zoo located in Belgrade, Serbia.
PALACE OF PRINCESS LJUBICAPrincess Ljubica's Residence (Serbian: Konak knjeginje Ljubice) in Belgrade was built between 1829 and 1831 by Hadzi-Nikola Zivkovic, a pioneer of contemporary Serbian architecture. The residence was built on order by prince Milos Obrenovic for his wife Ljubica and their children, the future rulers Milan and Mihailo. They began living in the residence in 1831, living there for the following ten years. It is preserved as the most representative city house from the first half of 19th century. Architecturally, it contains Ottoman attributes (the so-called Serbian-Balkan style) but with elements of classicism which anticipate future Western influences on architecture in Belgrade.
Princess Ljubica's Residence (Serbian: Konak knjeginje Ljubice) in Belgrade was built between 1829 and 1831 by Hadzi-Nikola Zivkovic, a pioneer of contemporary Serbian architecture.
SABORNA CHURCHThe Cathedral Church of St. Michael the Archangel (Serbian: Saborna Crkva Sv. Arhangela Mihaila) is a Serb Orthodox Christian church in the centre of Belgrade, Serbia. It is one of the most important places of worship in the country. It is commonly known as just Saborna crkva (The Cathedral) among the city residents. The cathedral was built from 1837 to 1840 by order of prince Milos Obrenovic, according to the design and plans of Adam Friedrich Kwerfeld, a builder from Pancevo. The church was built in the style of classicism with late baroque elements. The church is dedicated to St. Michael the Archangel. The interior is richly decorated.
The Cathedral Church of St. Michael the Archangel (Serbian: Saborna Crkva Sv. Arhangela Mihaila) is a Serb Orthodox Christian church in the centre of Belgrade, Serbia.
RESTAURANT 'ZNAK PITANJA'Restaurant ’’Znak pitanja’’ (The Question Mark Tavern) is the oldest traditional tavern (kafana) situated in Belgrade, Serbia. Located at 6 Kralja Petra Street, the building is nearly 200 years old. The cuisine served is traditional, and specific starogradska music is played. This tavern is one of the city's best known landmarks. It was built in 1823 as a property of Miloš Obrenović I, Prince of Serbia, designed by an unnamed Greek architect.
Restaurant ’’Znak pitanja’’ (The Question Mark Tavern) is the oldest traditional tavern (kafana) situated in Belgrade, Serbia.
KNEZ MIHAILOVA STREETKnez Mihailova Street or Prince Michael Street is the main pedestrian and shopping zone in Belgrade, and is protected by law as one of the oldest and most valuable landmarks of the city. Named after Mihailo Obrenović III, Prince of Serbia, it features a number of buildings and mansions built during the late 1870s. One kilometer long Knez Mihailova Street was in 1979 included on the list of Spatial Cultural-Historical Units of Great Importance, and as such is protected by the Republic of Serbia. The street follows the central grid layout of the Roman city of Singidunum.
Knez Mihailova Street or Prince Michael Street is the main pedestrian and shopping zone in Belgrade, and is protected by law as one of the oldest and most valuable landmarks of the city.
REPUBLIC SQUARERepublic Square or Square of the Republic (Serbian: Trg Republike) is one of the central town squares and an urban neighborhood of Belgrade, located in the Stari Grad municipality. It is the site of some of Belgrade's most recognizable public buildings, including the National Museum, the National Theatre and the statue of Prince Michael. The present square was formed after the demolition of the Stambol Gate in 1866 and the construction of the National Theatre in 1869. The gate was built in the 18th century by the Austrians, and stood in the area between the present Prince Mihailo monument and the National Theatre building. The gate was named after the road which led through it to Constantinople.
Republic Square or Square of the Republic (Serbian: Trg Republike) is one of the central town squares and an urban neighborhood of Belgrade, located in the Stari Grad municipality.
BOHEMIAN QUARTER SKADARLIJASkadarlija is a vintage street, an urban neighborhood and former municipality of Belgrade, the capital of Serbia. It is located in the Belgrade municipality of Stari Grad (Old town) and generally considered the main bohemian quarter of Belgrade, similar to Paris' Montmartre. Skadarlija is located less than 300 metres (330 yd) north-west of Terazije, central Belgrade. It begins right below the Republic Square and stretches along the short, winding Skadarska Street. One of the most famous streets in Belgrade, it is less than 400 metres (440 yd) long. Skadarlija began to acquire its bohemian character in the last few decades of the 19th century, and particularly after 1901, when the well-known Dardaneli inn was demolished and its guests, prominent writers and actors, moved to the Skadarlija inns or kafanas. The present Skadarlija is a remarkable Belgrade tourist attraction. It includes well-known traditional restaurants, art galleries, antique and souvenir shops.
Skadarlija is a vintage street, an urban neighborhood and former municipality of Belgrade, the capital of Serbia.
GALLERY OF FRESCOSGallery of Frescoes of the National Museum in Belgrade is unique by its function and content, collecting, safeguarding and exhibiting in one place the highest achievements of Serbian Mediaeval and Byzantine art. Its rich collection includes 1,300 copies of frescoes created between the 11th and mid-15th century as well as some copies of icons and miniatures from the same period. The collection also has around 300 cast-offs of Mediaeval monumental sculpture and epigraphical monuments. All copies of artworks were done by academic artists specialized in that area. Their dimensions, method of creation as well as damages are completely true to the originals. Many artifacts in the Collection are originally from monuments that are now destroyed or endangered. The building dedicated for the Gallery of Frescoes was built in 1952 on a plot of the Synagogue Bet Israel which was demolished by the Nazis in 1944. The Jewish Community has donated the plot to the City of Belgrade under the condition that the future building is dedicated to culture.
Gallery of Frescoes of the National Museum in Belgrade is unique by its function and content, collecting, safeguarding and exhibiting in one place the highest achievements of Serbian Mediaeval and Byzantine art.
NIKOLA TESLA MUSEUMThe Nikola Tesla Museum (Serbian: Muzej Nikole Tesle) is dedicated to honoring and displaying the life and work of Nikola Tesla. It is located in the central area of Belgrade, Serbia. It holds more than 160,000 original documents, over 2,000 books and journals, over 1,200 historical technical exhibits, over 1,500 photographs and photo plates of original, technical objects, instruments and apparatus, and over 1,000 plans and drawings. The Nikola Tesla Archive was inscribed on UNESCO's Memory of the World Programme Register in 2003 due to its critical role regarding history of electrification of the world and future technological advancements in this area.
The Nikola Tesla Museum (Serbian: Muzej Nikole Tesle) is dedicated to honoring and displaying the life and work of Nikola Tesla.
TERAZIJE FONTAINTerazije Fountain represents one of the most important monuments of 19th century Belgrade. The fountain was erected as a utilitarian and decorative object at Terazije in 1860, as ordered by Prince Milos Obrenovic, to mark his return to the Serbian throne. It was moved to Topcider park during the work on regulating Terazije street in 1911-1912. It stood there until 1976, when it was returned to its old spot.
Terazije Fountain represents one of the most important monuments of 19th century Belgrade.
THE NATIONAL ASSEMBLYThe House of the National Assembly (Serbian: Dom Narodne Skupstine) is the seat of the National Assembly of Serbia. In past, it was the seat of the Parliament of Yugoslavia and later the Parliament of Serbia and Montenegro. The building is located on Nikola Pašić Square in downtown Belgrade, and is a notable landmark and tourist attraction in the city. The cornerstone of the House of Representative at a special ceremony was laid in 1907 by King Peter I, in the presence of other members of the Royale family, senior officials and the people. The works lasted for almost 30 years, up until 1936. Construction were interrupted on several occasions - due to the two Balkan War, World War I and Great Depression from 1929. The house was completed in 1936 with the first sitting taking place on the 20th of October that year. The building is designed in the neo-baroque style.
The House of the National Assembly (Serbian: Dom Narodne Skupstine) is the seat of the National Assembly of Serbia.
THE CITY ASSEMBLY OF BELGRADEStari Dvor (meaning Old Palace) was the Royale residence of the Obrenovic dynasty. Today it houses the City Assembly of Belgrade. The palace is located on the corner of Kralja Milana and Dragoslava Jovanovica streets in Belgrade, Serbia. The palace was built between 1882 and 1884, according to the design of Aleksandar Bugarski, in the style of academism of the 19th century, with intention to surpass all existing residences of the Serbian rulers. The Palace was damaged twice: during World War I and during the bombing of Belgrade, on April 6, 1941. After World War I the Palace was repaired, while the first important restoration was done around 1930. The repair and re-arrangement of the Old Palace after World War II lasted until 1947. During that period, the architecture of the building was significantly changed.
Stari Dvor (meaning Old Palace) was the Royale residence of the Obrenovic dynasty.
ST. MARKO CHURCHSt. Mark's Church or Church of St. Mark (Serbian: Crkva Svetog Marka) is a Serbian Orthodox church located in the Tasmajdan park in Belgrade, Serbia, near the Parliament of Serbia. It was built in the Serbian architectural style by the Krstić brothers, completed in 1940, on the site of a previous church dating to 1835. It is one of the largest churches in the country. St. Mark's Church is 62 meters long and 45 meters wide, and the height of the main cupola to the base of the cross is 60 meters. The usable interior surface area of the church is about 1,150 square meters, and the naos (nave) of the church can accommodate over 150 singers.
St. Mark's Church or Church of St. Mark (Serbian: Crkva Svetog Marka) is a Serbian Orthodox church located in the Tasmajdan park in Belgrade, Serbia, near the Parliament of Serbia.
MARSHAL TITO'S MAUSOLEUMMausoleum ''House of Flowers'' is the mausoleum of the leader of the Socialist Federal Republic of Yugoslavia, Josip Broz Tito, who died on 4 May 1980 and his wife Jovanka Broz who died 20 October 2013. It is located on the grounds of the Museum of Yugoslav History in Dedinje, Belgrade, Serbia.''House of Flower'' was built in 1975, on the basis of the project by architect Stjepan Kralj. It was built as a winter garden with areas for work and rest of Josip Broz (area 902.00 m2) near the residence where he lived. Many guests, from all over the former Yugoslavia, visit especially on May 25 (Tito's official birth date) - the former Youth Day under Socialism. The memorial was reportedly visited by more than eleven thousand people in 2004, and since 1982, more than 17,000,000 people.
Mausoleum ''House of Flowers'' is the mausoleum of the leader of the Socialist Federal Republic of Yugoslavia, Josip Broz Tito, who died on 4 May 1980 and his wife Jovanka Broz who died 20 October 2013.
ADA BRIDGEThe Ada bridge (Serbian: Most na Adi) or alternatively Sava bridge is a cable-stayed bridge over the Sava river in Belgrade, Serbia. The bridge crosses the tip of Ada Ciganlija island, connecting the municipalities of Čukarica and New Belgrade. The bridge pylon is located on the tip of the island, which has been reinforced with large amounts of concrete and has been slightly enlarged to provide stronger foundations. Construction began in 2008, and the bridge opened on 1 January 2012. Adjoining roads were completed in 2013.
The Ada bridge (Serbian: Most na Adi) or alternatively Sava bridge is a cable-stayed bridge over the Sava river in Belgrade, Serbia.
AVALA TOWERThe Avala Tower (Serbian: Avalski toranj) is a 204.5 m (671 ft) tall telecommunication tower located on Avala mountain in the periphery of Belgrade. It was destroyed in NATO bombardment of Serbia on 29 April 1999. On 21 December 2006, the reconstruction of Avala Tower commenced and the tower was officially opened at a ceremony on 21 April 2010. It is currently the tallest tower in Serbia and the Balkan region.
The Avala Tower (Serbian: Avalski toranj) is a 204.5 m (671 ft) tall telecommunication tower located on Avala mountain in the periphery of Belgrade
MONUMENT TO THE UKNOWN HERO - AVALAThe Monument to the Unknown Hero (Serbian: Spomenik Neznanom junaku) is a World War I memorial place located atop Mount Avala, south-east of Belgrade, Serbia, and designed by the well-known sculptor Ivan Mestrovic. Memorial was built in 1934-1938 on the place where an unknown Serbian World War I soldier was buried. It is similar to many other tombs of the unknown soldier built by the allies after the war. The Zrnov fortress was previously located on the same place.
The Monument to the Unknown Hero (Serbian: Spomenik Neznanom junaku) is a World War I memorial place located atop Mount Avala, south-east of Belgrade, Serbia, and designed by the well-known sculptor Ivan Mestrović
FC RED STAR STADIUM & MUSEUMRed Star FC museum was opened on March 12th 1985 to commemorate 40 years since the club's foundation. It is a very meaningful facility which stands as a testimony of our club's history and success. It includes 63 years of success and victories best represented by the unique collection of trophies, cups, recognitions and club-flags which are on display at our museum. One of the world's richest and most beautiful sports' collections in the world is presented in a 400 square meters space. The entire collection consists of over 1400 items (trophies, plaques, photos, etc.). 680 items are on display, while the rest of the collection is in the museum's storage.
Red Star FC museum was opened on March 12th 1985 to commemorate 40 years since the club's foundation.
ZEMUN - GARDOSGardos (Serbian: Gardos) is an urban neighborhood of Belgrade, the capital of Serbia. It is located in Belgrade's municipality of Zemun. Located on the slopes of the hill of the same name, with its tower and preserved old architecture, Gardos is the historical landmark of Zemun. The major attraction in the neighborhood is the Kula Sibinjanin Janka (The tower of Janos Hunyadi) or the Millennium tower, also known as the Tower on the hill or simply the Gardos tower. It was built and officially opened on August 20, 1896 to celebrate a thousand years of Hungarian settlement in the Pannonian plain. It was part of the massive construction effort which included buildings in Budapest as well as four millennium towers on four directions of the world.
Gardos (Serbian: Gardoš) is an urban neighborhood of Belgrade, the capital of Serbia.
SAVA & DANUBE RIVER CONFLUENCEBelgrade is settled at the confluence of the Sava and Danube Rivers. That fact has made it an important city. The view from the Belgrade Fortress or Kalemegdan looks down on the Danube and Sava Rivers and New Belgrade area, and makes an amazing combination of nature and the modern city.
Belgrade is settled at the confluence of the Sava and Danube Rivers.
SPORT & FUN
PARK-FOREST KOSUTNJAKKosutnjak Hill is a forest and a park, as well as one of the outing areas Belgraders prefer. The hill is 250 m high and covers the area of 330 hectare. The evergreen and deciduous forest is crisscrossed by many forest trails.
Kosutnjak Hill is a forest and a park, as well as one of the outing areas Belgraders prefer.
ADA CIGANLIJA LAKEAda Ciganlija, colloquially shortened to Ada, is a river island that has artificially been turned into a peninsula, located in the Sava River's course through central Belgrade. To take advantage of its central location, over the past few decades, it was turned into an immensely popular recreational zone.
Ada Ciganlija, colloquially shortened to Ada, is a river island that has artificially been turned into a peninsula, located in the Sava River's course through central Belgrade
GOLF CLUB BELGRADE (ADA CIGANLIJA)The Golf Club Beograd is located four kilometers from the city center in a natural oasis of Belgrade. On the island of the Sava river, Adi Ciganlija, surrounded by old river forest, wild nature and authentic preserved flora and fauna there is a golf complex. Golf club Beograd is a risk reward nine hole parkland golf course, that challenges both your short and long game. In the 4,800 m of golf terain every hole is offerng a new challenge
The Golf Club Beograd is located four kilometers from the city center in a natural oasis of Belgrade.
Locations: Ada Ciganlija (April-November) and Tosin Bunar 161-163, Belgrade, Serbia
AUTOKOMERC KARTING CENTRE
Address: Prva ulica 84c, Belgrade, Serbia
TENNIS CENTER NOVAK
Adress: Tadeusa Koscuska 63a, Belgrade, Serbia
STRAHINJICA BANA STREET
BOHEMIAN QUARTER SKADARLIJA
SAVAMALA QUARTER, KARADJORDJEVA STREET
RAFTS ON RIVER SAVA & RIVER DANUBE
ADA CIGANLIJA LAKE
KNEZ MIHAILOVA STREET
Pedestrian and shopping zone in city center with large selection of stores of world famous brands.
SHOPPING CENTER USCE
Bulevar Mihajla Pupina 4, New Belgrade, working hours: 10h - 22h
SHOPPING CENTER DELTA CITY
Jurija Gagarina 16, New Belgrade, working hours: 10h - 22h
SHOPPING CENTER STADION
Zaplanjska 32, Belgrade, working hours: 10h - 22h
FASHION PARK OUTLET CENTER INDJIJA
Vojvode Putnika bb, Indjija Working hours 10-21h
Tourist info Center, Knez Mihailova 5, Belgrade Working hours: Mon-Sat 10-19h, Sun 10-15h